If you’re looking for the perfect e-commerce platform for your business, you’ve come to the right place. In this review, we’ll be comparing two of the top solutions on the market: WooCommerce vs BigCommerce.
While there are plenty of options available for building your online store, BigCommerce and WooCommerce stand out as industry leaders. Each platform offers unique features and caters to specific audiences. However, they both excel at helping businesses grow and expand.
If you’re unsure which platform is the best fit for your business, don’t worry. We’ll provide all the information you need to make an informed decision. Keep reading to find out more!
Pros & Cons of BigCommerce
- BigCommerce offers the flexibility to easily set up and customize your store by allowing access to and modification of the underlying code, which is not commonly found in other hosted systems. This enables you to enhance your store with pre-built functions.
- The platform provides a wide range of built-in features and powerful open APIs, allowing for extensive customization and the addition of extra features based on individual needs. This level of functionality is unique compared to other e-commerce platforms.
- BigCommerce offers a high-performance checkout process that can be fully customized using a server-to-server checkout API and SDK. This ensures a seamless and efficient checkout experience for customers.
- The platform offers limitless scalability, making it ideal for rapidly expanding businesses. It provides access to various features that support growth, such as unlimited product variants, automatic marketplace integration, and multichannel selling capabilities.
- One drawback of BigCommerce is its higher cost compared to other platforms, as it includes additional distinctive features in addition to the monthly subscription fee. And compared to BigCommerce, WooCommerce is a free open-source software plugin.
- While BigCommerce offers a decent selection of free and paid themes, there is limited diversity in the available options. Many of the themes offered by BigCommerce tend to have similarities, which may result in a lack of unique design choices.
Pros & Cons of WooCommerce
- Design Flexibility: WooCommerce offers a high level of design flexibility, allowing you to customize your themes extensively. However, it’s important to note that some technical skills, such as HTML/CSS editing, may be required to fully utilize this feature.
- Extensive Plugin Collection: As WooCommerce runs on WordPress, users have access to a vast collection of 3rd party plugins. This includes plugins from both WordPress and WooCommerce stores, as well as other plugin websites, providing you with a wide range of options to enhance your online store.
- SEO Tools: If you’re looking to build a robust blogging or content-based system, WooCommerce provides out-of-the-box SEO functions. This means you can optimize your store for search engines and improve your online visibility.
- Limited Support: While WooCommerce has a large community of users and developers, it’s important to note that instant help may not always be available. In case you encounter any issues, you may need to rely on documentation sites or community forums to find solutions on your own.
- Technical Knowledge Required: Using WooCommerce may require a steeper learning curve compared to other platforms. It’s important to have some technical knowledge to fully utilize the platform’s features and make the most out of your online store.
The Main Differences Between WooCommerce vs BigCommerce
BigCommerce and WooCommerce are two popular options for creating an online store, but there is a key difference between them. BigCommerce stands out as a fully hosted e-commerce website builder. This means that they take care of all the technical aspects of running an online store, allowing entrepreneurs to focus on their business.
If you’re not familiar with what an e-commerce website builder does, it’s essentially software that assists you in creating and managing your online store. BigCommerce goes above and beyond by offering a wide range of built-in e-commerce features. In fact, they have one of the most comprehensive toolkits available in the market.
With BigCommerce, you have everything you need to design, launch, and grow your online business. They provide all the necessary tools and resources to help you succeed. In fact, BigCommerce proudly states that, on average, their users experience a 28% year-on-year growth with their platform.
So, if you’re an entrepreneur looking to build your online store, BigCommerce is definitely worth considering. With their fully hosted solution and extensive toolkit, they have already assisted nearly 100,000 entrepreneurs in achieving their e-commerce goals.
Detailed Differences Between WooCommerce vs BigCommerce
Arguing Ownership Dilemma
When establishing a store, it is desirable for things to align with your preferences, correct? This is the case with WooCommerce, however, with BigCommerce, your reliance on the platform is significant.
In the event that BigCommerce were to face financial difficulties, your store would also suffer. Conversely, with WooCommerce, there is no dependency on a single platform.
Therefore, the ultimate conclusion is that with WooCommerce, you possess complete ownership of the store. On the other hand, with BigCommerce, your ownership is only partial.
- WooCommerce functions as a plugin for the WordPress CMS. Consequently, it is necessary to first install WordPress in order to utilize the WooCommerce platform. Additionally, reliable e-commerce hosting providers are required to host it.
- By simply installing WordPress and WooCommerce, you will have your very own e-commerce platform, where you have full ownership over everything, ranging from customers’ sensitive data to order details.
- The migration system allows for a seamless transition to any preferred hosting solution provider within minutes.
- It liberates you from any third-party regulations or obligations.
- BigCommerce is an e-commerce application that is hosted, meaning it cannot be hosted elsewhere. This has been previously discussed in our Magento vs BigCommerce post.
- You do not have exclusive ownership of the hosted space; rather, it is shared with other BigCommerce stores.
Tackling Security Loopholes
Security is a big concern for businesses when it comes to online sales. Both WooCommerce and BigCommerce are good options, but WooCommerce has a slight advantage in terms of security.
With WooCommerce, you have the ability to enhance your store’s security by using premium plugins and secure hosting. This means you have more control over protecting your store and customer data. On the other hand, with BigCommerce, you are limited to the security features provided by the platform itself.
One important point to note about WooCommerce is that the security of your store largely depends on your hosting provider. Most hosting services that work with WooCommerce are PCI compliant, which means they meet the necessary security standards. Additionally, many of these hosting services offer free SSL certificates and CDNs to further enhance your store’s security.
In contrast, BigCommerce is a certified PCI-compliant platform, so you can be confident that your customer data is protected. However, if you want a dedicated SSL certificate for your store, you will need to pay an extra fee.
Simple and Transparent UI
WooCommerce is known for its user-friendly interface and simple setup process. Unlike Magento, which can be more complex, WooCommerce offers a point-and-click installation that makes it easy for anyone to get started. Once you’re familiar with WordPress, managing a WooCommerce store becomes a breeze. Even if you’re new to the platform, the learning curve is not steep, and you’ll quickly get the hang of it.
On the other hand, BigCommerce stands out for its ease of use and seamless start-up. With BigCommerce, you don’t have to worry about the technical aspects of your store, as the BigCommerce support team takes care of everything. This allows you to focus on managing your store efficiently without getting bogged down by technical details.
Discussing Scalability Woes
Many business owners overlook the importance of scalability when starting their first online store. They mistakenly believe that scaling is a concern for the distant future. However, this is a mistake. Many stores grow rapidly, becoming a challenge for platforms that are not easily scalable.
When it comes to scalability, WooCommerce is the clear winner. It is an open-source platform with a large community of developers, ensuring that improvements are not dependent on a single entity. Additionally, there are numerous high-quality paid and free plugins available, allowing you to enhance your store without breaking the bank.
WooCommerce is an excellent choice for e-commerce stores of all sizes. It is specifically designed for small and medium-sized businesses, but it can handle even larger operations with over 100,000 products and thousands of transactions per minute. Scaling up is as simple as increasing server storage space on your hosting provider, with cloud hosting being the recommended option due to its ease of scalability and robust security features.
For startups and small businesses, BigCommerce is a great choice. However, if you have aspirations of scaling your store even further, it would be wise to consider an open-source application like Magento or WooCommerce. It’s important to note that each BigCommerce plan has an annual sales threshold, meaning that if your annual sales exceed this limit, you will automatically be upgraded to a higher pricing plan.
In contrast, WooCommerce’s customer support options are limited. While they do provide WooCommerce Docs, an online help center with a wealth of information about the platform, and access to the WordPress forum for user questions, their assistance is not as extensive as BigCommerce’s.
On the other hand, BigCommerce offers comprehensive customer support around the clock. You can reach out to them via phone, email, or live chat, ensuring that help is always available when you need it. Additionally, they have a user forum and an online help center filled with useful self-help guides.
If you opt for BigCommerce’s Enterprise plan, you’ll receive even more personalized support. They provide an onboarding consultant and account manager who will guide you through any challenges that may arise, ensuring a smooth experience for your online venture.
Both BigCommerce and WooCommerce seamlessly integrate with the largest international payment gateways, allowing you to accept all major credit and debit cards.
- Apple Pay
BigCommerce makes it easy for you to accept credit card payments through Paypal. Setting up payment gateways is a breeze, and you’ll also have access to BigCommerce’s pre-negotiated credit card transaction rates. The rates may vary depending on the pricing plan you choose.
- Standard: 2.9% + 30c
- Plus: 2.5% + 30c
- Pro: 2.2% + 30c
- Enterprise: 2.2% + 30c (or lower, depending on what you negotiate).
Alternatively, you have the option to utilize a third-party payment processor. There is a wide range of approximately 65 available options, depending on the country you operate in. However, it is important to note that depending on the payment gateway you choose, there may be monthly fees and/or transaction fees involved. These fees are determined by the payment gateway provider, so it is recommended to reach out to them directly for more information.
It is worth mentioning that neither BigCommerce nor WooCommerce impose their own transaction fees. Any additional processing costs will be incurred directly from your chosen payment gateway.
If you opt for WooCommerce, you will have access to over 100 payment gateways, including Authorize.Net. On the other hand, BigCommerce offers a slightly more limited selection. Therefore, if you desire a wider range of choices, WooCommerce would be the preferable option.
Compared to Shopify and BigCommerce, WooCommerce may appear to be a less attractive option. However, it is important to note that WooCommerce is better suited for a different type of business owner. Those who seek customization opportunities through an open-source solution will find WooCommerce to be one of the easiest and most affordable options. Unlike systems like Magento, it does not require extensive development. Additionally, for business owners who already use WordPress, WooCommerce is undoubtedly one of the best e-commerce options available.
Searching for the perfect e-commerce platform for your business? Don’t miss our comprehensive VS articles. Click the following logo to start exploring the differences among these platforms.